Universal Access To All Knowledge
Home Donate | Store | Blog | FAQ | Jobs | Volunteer Positions | Contact | Bios | Forums | Projects | Terms, Privacy, & Copyright
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload

Reply to this post | See parent post | Go Back
View Post [edit]

Poster: Administrator, Curator, or StaffJonathan Aizen Date: Jun 26, 2003 12:25am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: slow speeds on etree09 ??

Brak is right - using FTP will always be slow and will not help the community. If you use HTTP via FreeCache and the files aren't cached, the next guy will be able to get it at tremendous speeds. Go FreeCache! :)

Reply to this post
Reply [edit]

Poster: - j Date: Jul 9, 2003 5:33am
Forum: etree Subject: Freecache

Alright I've been using "Freecache", but if I'm the first person to grab a show this way 99% of the time the initial d/l hangs before reaching 1MB [that is with using GetRight 4.1.1] when trying to grab the big .zip it works better with the indiviual files. My other option is using IE 5.5SP2 which doesn't resume. Also with IE if my transfer gets interupted the file is lost. IE's method of saving files is to write to a hidden directory/.DAT file...
I must be missing something but in the big picture the whole "Freecache" thing is far less reliable than straight ftp or http access for me.
I'd like to know other peoples experiences trying to grab shows using the "Freecache"

Reply to this post
Reply [edit]

Poster: Administrator, Curator, or Staffbleblanc Date: Jul 9, 2003 6:55am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: Freecache Experiences

I'd like to know other peoples experiences trying to grab shows using the "Freecache"

Nothing but good to tell so far from me. I've grabbed 3 shows over the past 3-4 weeks - all of them pulling at my cable cap of 80KB/sec. All 3 were pulled in the single tar/zip format. All 3 passed md5check when complete. All 3 pulled using IE 5.5SP2 - no need for a resume cause I got them in 1 straight shot. I'm happy.

By the way, IE DOES resume downloads for some folks - I remember seeing a post by Jon a week or 2 ago reporting a successful test... Ah ha, here it is. Have you tried that yet?

Reply to this post
Reply [edit]

Poster: - j Date: Jul 9, 2003 7:48am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: Freecache Experiences

Over the past couple of weeks I've grabbed 10 - 15 shows [Garage a Trois, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Big E, moe.] and have had about 10% success utilizing FreeCache, for the other 90% I've had to use FTP. Currently I have an "Astral Project" coming down [using FreeCache] this is the third attempt it's moving at ~9 - 12 k/sec..
I only had one [moe. @ bonnaroo] come down ~90 k/sec.

...and I have tried killing and restarting downloads with IE... no luck, they restart from scratch every time. I'm using IE 5.5 SP2 Window$ 2000 Server... if someone knows of a setting I can change let me know.

This post was modified by j howe on 2003-07-09 14:48:46

Reply to this post
Reply [edit]

Poster: Administrator, Curator, or Staffbleblanc Date: Jul 9, 2003 8:31am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: Freecache Experiences

Currently I have an "Astral Project" coming down [using FreeCache] this is the third attempt it's moving at ~9 - 12 k/sec..

Sounds to me like the show you are grabbing is coming from the Archive and not from a freecache server. I just checked and saw that 2 of the Astral Project shows are on "freecache02.archive.org" while the other one downloads through freecache from etree10.archive.org.

I'm not certain, but freecache02.archive.org might be sharing its bandwidth with the rest of the Archive website - thus speeds would be slow. However, that moe. at B'Roo show looks like you will be pulling from "sls-310-lnx.stanford.edu" - which is extremely high speed.

Make sense? You can see which server the file is coming from once the download begins. For example, right now mine says:

moe2003-06-15d1t4.shn from sls-310-lnx.stanford.edu

(and I'm pulling it at 70KB/sec compared to the 15KB/sec the Astral Project tests gave me)

My 3 for 3 = great experience is probably heavily weighted by the fact that all 3 shows I grabbed were hosted outside of the Archive because they have been really popular downloads.

-Brad

This post was modified by bleblanc57 on 2003-07-09 15:31:58